Maalox Plus Tablets contain three different medicines:
- The first two medicines are called dried aluminium hydroxide gel and magnesium hydroxide. They belong to a group of medicines called antacids.
- The other medicine is called simeticone. It belongs to a group of medicines called anti-foaming agents.
Maalox Plus Tablets is used for:
- The relief of indigestion (dyspepsia)
- Wind (flatulence)
Maalox Plus Tablets work by lowering the amount of acid in your stomach. The anti-foaming agent in Maalox Plus Tablets helps to remove gas from your stomach.
Do not take Maalox Plus Tablets if:
- You are allergic (hypersensitive) to dried aluminium hydroxide gel, magnesium hydroxide, simeticone or any of the other ingredients in Maalox Plus Tablets
Signs of an allergic reaction include: a rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue
- You are feeling very weak and have no energy (debilitated)
- You have kidney problems
Do not take this medicine if any of the above apply to you. If you are not sure, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Maalox Plus Tablets.
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Maalox Plus Tablets if:
- You are on a low-phosphorous diet
Other medicines and Maalox Plus Tablets
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines.
This includes medicines you buy without prescription, including herbal medicines.
Maalox Plus Tablets should not be taken at the same time as other medicines. This is because Maalox Plus Tablets can affect the way other medicines work. If Maalox Plus Tablets are taken within one hour of any other medicine, they can affect the uptake of that medicine into the blood.
Some medicines may be affected by magnesium hydroxide or they may affect how well magnesium hydroxide will work. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are already taking: – salicylates
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if:
- You are pregnant, might become pregnant, or think you may be pregnant
- You are breast-feeding or planning to breast-feed
Important information about some of the ingredients of Maalox Plus Tablets
Maalox Plus Tablets contain anhydrous glucose, sucrose and sorbitol (E420). This product may be harmful to teeth. If you have been told by your doctor that you cannot tolerate or digest some sugars, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
Taking this medicine
- Take this medicine by mouth
- Chew the tablets well before swallowing
Adults including the elderly
- Take one or two tablets 4 times each day
- Take 20 minutes to one hour after meals and at bedtime or as required
Maalox Plus Tablets are not recommended for children.
If the symptoms do not go away, talk to your doctor.
If you take more Maalox Plus Tablets than you should talk to your doctor or go to a hospital straight away. Remember to take any medicine that is left with you so the doctor knows what you have taken.
The following effects may happen: diarrhoea, stomach pain or you may get a bloated feeling and cramping pain in the abdomen (stomach), be sick (vomit), have indigestion, heartburn, upset stomach, constipation, loss of appetite, dry mouth. This could be caused by an obstruction or blockage of the bowel (ileus).
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Maalox Plus Tablets can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Stop taking Maalox Plus Tablets and see a doctor or go to a hospital straight away if:
Not known (frequency cannot be estimated form the available data)
- You have a red and lumpy skin rash, swollen eyelids, face, lips, mouth or tongue, itching, difficulty breathing or swallowing. This could be an allergic reaction.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side effects get serious or lasts longer than a few days. Also tell them if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet:
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
Very rare (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people)
- Hypermagnesemia, including observations after prolonged administration to patients with renal impairment.
Not known (frequency cannot be estimated from the available data)
- Hypophosphatemia, this may occur at high doses of the product or even at normal doses especially in patients with low phosphorus diets
- Hyperaluminemia is an electrolyte disturbance in which there is an abnormally elevated level of aluminium in the body
- Abdominal pain
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet.
You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store.
You can also report side effects directly via ADR Reporting www.medicinesauthority.gov.mt/adrportal
By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine
How to store Maalox Plus Tablets
Keep this medicine in a safe place where children cannot see or reach it.
Do not use Maalox Plus Tablets after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and foil after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Store below 25°C
Medicines should not be disposed off via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help protect the environment.
Contents of the pack and other information
What Maalox Plus Tablets contain
- Each tablet contains: 200mg of dried aluminium hydroxide gel, 200mg of magnesium hydroxide and 25mg of simeticone
- The other ingredients are: swiss cream flavour, lemon flavour, magnesium stearate, talc, anhydrous citric acid, anhydrous glucose, saccharin sodium, sorbitol (E420), sorbitol liquid non-crystallising (E420), iron oxide yellow (E172), pregelatinised starch (maize starch), maize starch, sucrose and mannitol (E421)
What Maalox Plus Tablets looks like and contents of the pack
Maalox® Plus Tablets are white and yellow with “Maalox” embossed on one side. They taste of lemon/cream.
There are no reviews yet.