The name of your medicine is Folic Acid 5 mg Tablets. It contains folic acid which belongs to a group of
vitamins called ‘B vitamins’.
Folic acid 5 mg Tablets are used to treat the following:
– Anaemia which can be caused by:
– a lack of vitamins
– gastrectomy (a portion or all of your stomach has been surgically removed).
– An illness called ‘Sprue’. In this illness parts of your food cannot be absorbed by the gut.
– Pellagra (a vitamin deficiency) – the symptoms include dermatitis, inflammation of the tongue, diarrhoea,
disorientation, depression and confusion.
– As an adjunct (i.e., taken in combination with other medicines) in the management of pernicious anaemia
(your body is unable to absorb vitamin B12 properly from your food).
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU TAKE FOLIC ACID 5 mg TABLETS
Do not take Folic Acid 5 mg Tablets
– if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to folic acid or any of the other ingredients of this medicine (listed in
section 6). Signs of an allergic reaction include a rash, itching or shortness of breath.
– if you have pernicious anaemia. Folic acid 5 mg Tablets should not be used as the only treatment of
pernicious anaemia, since it will not prevent degeneration of the spinal cord (sub-acute combined
degeneration of the spinal cord).
Warnings and Precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Folic Acid 5 mg Tablets
– if you are having treatment for pernicious anaemia (the production of red blood cells is affected) caused by
vitamin B12 deficiency. You will need to take other medicines in combination with Folic Acid 5 mg Tablets
to treat this condition.
– if you are under therapy for a folate-dependent tumour (an abnormal growth)
Other medicines and Folic Acid 5 mg Tablets
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine. If you are pregnant, this medicine is
unlikely to cause any harm to you or your unborn child.
Driving and using machines
Folic Acid 5 mg Tablets are not likely to affect you being able to drive or use any tools or machines.
Folic Acid 5 mg Tablets contain lactose
If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before
taking this medicinal product.